Thomas Peterson for Mayor

Anoka needs a new mayor. As a French Bulldog, I feel I am suitably qualified. I know how to sit, shake hands, and, in an emergency, play dead. Additionally, I promise that I won't roll over on any issue.

The Five Second Rule

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

My familial assistants chauffeured me to my grandparents' house today so we could visit. I love our visits. This time, they gave me the best gift anyone could give - Greenies! I haven't eaten one yet, though. I need to cut back on treats or I'll look tubby for the campaign photographs.

While I was at my grandfolks, someone dropped a few pieces of corn and I learned about a strange human rule. It's called the "five-second rule." Apparently, any food dropped on the floor has a five-second safety buffer before it becomes indelibly infected by surrounding microorganisms.

I'm not sure how this rule is supposed to work. Does the impact of the food particle create a quickly degradable, invisible anti-germ bubble that surrounds the food? Are floor bacteria slow and lazy? Does the force of the fall create an small, germ-free impact crater? I'll leave those questions to the scientists. In any case, I think it's a dumb rule. Who cares how long the food has been on the ground? I say if it's within paw's reach, it's fair game. Besides, the five-second rule is just a myth anyway.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of my dog friends are cautioning me about the greenies. I know they taste good but be careful, okay?

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=greenies19&date=20060119&query=greenie

 
Blogger Thomas Peterson said...

Thank you for the information kelly_pnw. I never knew Greenies could be so dangerous. Now I'll feel like a rebel when I eat them, one of those risky outsiders who shrugs in the face of mortal danger and dives headlong.

When I checked Snopes regarding the whole Greenies issue, it seems the evidence is still inconclusive. Still, I'm glad that you're looking out for me. It makes me happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home